WARNING! This blog contains many links to Ravelry, a fiber-arts social media website which has been known to cause migraines, seizures, and other health issues for some internet users, especially since Ravelry's website redesign in June 2020. Please exercise caution when following links to Ravelry!

Monday, December 1, 2014

Interview with Denise Voie de Vie

Forged Joy Shawl
Moody Bleu Pullover
Pommi and Pearls Shawl
All pictures © Voie de Vie

Introduce Yourself!
Hi, I’m Denise and I’m the creative force behind Voie de Vie, where design + craft = an artful way of life (at least for me). I design in crochet (mostly) as well as knit, and I dabble in painting and mixed media art whenever I get the opportunity. I also write a lot, mostly on my blog at http://voiedevie.blogspot.com and also the Tweety thingy @DeniseVoiedeVie.

How would you describe your style?
My style is an eclectic mix of updated classics with touches of bohemia and romance. (I did say it was eclectic.)

What inspires you?
Many things: music, myth, literature, flowers, cars (preferably vintage), art, color, color, color. Oh, and did I mention color?

What is your favorite item to design?
Boy, that’s difficult to answer because I enjoy designing whatever it is I’m designing at any given moment. I expect my favorite item is the next one I haven’t yet thought of.

What is your favorite aspect of designing?
Definitely realizing the concept. I love everything about seeing an idea take shape – and of course, the ability to play with wonderful fiber is an added bonus.

Is there a design of yours that you are particularly proud of?
They are all my children; how to choose just one? (smile)

Describe your experience participating in the Gift-A-Long.
I am absolutely enjoying myself! I missed it last year, so I’m savoring it like an excellent bottle of wine (preferably of the bubbly kind). I loved helping put the Pinterest boards together; I’m super excited about the shawl patterns I purchased. Most importantly, I’m enjoying seeing how crafters are putting patterns and yarns together, and I’m meeting and getting to know new-to-me designers.

What is your favorite part of it?
Other than the above? (smile)

Were there any specific patterns that did really well in the GAL that you didn’t expect?
Hmmm … of mine? Well, that’s a difficult question to answer, since the GAL is ongoing, and though some of my jewelry and cowls are being made, I’ve had good sales of those designs plus shawls, scarves and sweaters that haven’t made it to the GAL boards.

Any new projects you would like to share with us?
Well, I have a book slated to be published at the end of the year: Leather, Lace, Grit & Grace (http://leatherlacegritgrace.blogspot.com), the designs in which are inspired by the early women of flight. I am fairly jumping out of my skin with excitement and fear and anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment