WARNING! This blog contains many links to Ravelry, a fiber-arts social media website which has been known to cause migraines, seizures, and other health issues for some internet users, especially since Ravelry's website redesign in June 2020. Please exercise caution when following links to Ravelry!

Friday, November 21, 2014

Interview With Natalie Servant

As part of the GAL, I'm going to post a series of interviews of designers over the next few weeks. First up is Natalie Servant, a Canadian knitwear designer whose patterns include...

...the lovely Morgaine...
..and fun Gingham Style. What can I say, I love plaid!
All pictures © Natalie Servant

Introduce Yourself!
I’m Natalie Servant and I design knit accessories. I love lace, colour (yes, I’m Canadian), and texture.

What inspires you?
I am frequently inspired by Art Deco design, particularly architecture. Other times I’m inspired by the colour of my yarn, a particular stitch pattern, or objects I see around me and wonder how I’d translate into knitting.

What is your favorite item to design?
My first love is lace shawls. While I do get ideas for many different types of fabric, I doubt I’ll ever stop designing lace. It’s so magical to block! I’m also quite fond of stranded colourwork.

What is your favorite aspect of designing?
I love that feeling that I get when I look at a finished piece of knitting and know that I’ve captured the bit of beauty that I had in mind.

Is there a design of yours that you are particularly proud of?
I’m still very proud of my Eiffel Tower Shawl. I sketched this design over a year before I finally figured out how to turn it into knitting. I’m so glad I stuck with this one.

Any new projects you would like to share with us?
My big project for 2015 is called Canadian Art Deco Knits. It’ll be a pattern-a-month subscription and includes 12 accessory/home decor patterns inspired by different Canadian Art Deco buildings. The patterns use different techniques: lace, colourwork, and texture. I’ve got lots of pictures and research (and 2 years of work) put into this project, and it’s very close to my heart. I can’t wait to share all of these designs!

No comments:

Post a Comment